Patchwork Girl's Rambling Warps
Thursday, July 31, 2003
      ( 2:25 PM ) Jessica  
This time last year I discovered blogs & shortly after, I decided I wanted to start my own blog & discovered blogspot. For a short while, my blog was on the tornadowood.com website, but we had a crash in February, I moved my blog back to blogspot "temporarily" and just recently started putting together a new blog on tornadowood. I had hoped it would be ready today, but it's not, so I'll just keep mirroring the posts so that the transition will be fairly smooth. I'm hoping to have some photo galleries of WIPs & FOs & knitalongs linked from the blog... I will have the usual links to the weblog rings (Fiber Arts Bloggers, Knitting & Mommies), Knitting Meetup & my tag-board and a couple of other favorite links. I THOUGHT about posting links to my "favorite" blogs, but have not decided what to do about that since sometimes there could be hurt feelings about it...what I will probably do instead is link exchanges. That will eliminate the risk of hurt feelings & other political nonsense. Also, if i mention something on someone else's blog, I'll post the link... none of this "favorite" stuff for me! A little history: I've been knitting since I was very young, around 6: I pestered my mom to teach me until she finally relented & cast on some yarn onto 2 pencils & I went from there learning to cast on & purl. I was never much of a compulsive knitter, but I had my moments & sometimes I took my knitting to school...somewhere I have a scarf that I made in a beige yarn with combinations of knits & purls to make diamond shapes & other random designs...that was NOT a curly scarf! I eventually learned to do needlepoint: anyone ever notice what copycats kids are? My mom took up needlepoint with a vengence & somewhere I have some of her framed pieces since she did some pieces for a friend who was doing a book on needlepoint. I do not remember the woman's name or the name of the book & my mom is not around to tell me... Susan something, I think. Helpful, huh? Before my mom died, I picked up her needlepoint UFO of Unicorn in the Garden... I got a fair bit done & after she died, it helped me feel close to her. I never finished this since it was stolen from a friend's car a long time ago... I did get another, but never got much done on it either and at this moment, I don't know where it is... in the late 80s/early 90s I discovered long point needlepoint & did a little of that, never finished... this brings me to something my mom always told me: finish what you start... ahem... after she died I found MANY UFOs of hers... probably "do what I say, not what I do"... since then I've learned to finish my projects... In the early 90s, I got interested in spinning & weaving & then a year ago I got back into knitting...which leads us to my blog history: At first, my blog was NOT a knitting blog, it was a general fiber blog with an emphasis on weaving... I still weave, but mostly knit nowadays, it's much easier to knit while watching TV or carrying on a conversation since I don't have to look at my knitting...weaving requires looking at what I'm doing & since I'm deaf & I read lips, I don't get much weaving done when others want to talk! I started knitting again when people were flashing their socks around on different blogs... I tried doing a pair of cabled socks for my youngest son & never finished them because they would never fit him.... and I finished another pair of socks that I had started in 1999 & also finished a sweater that reuven may be able to wear this winter (if he can get his head through it...I may re-do the neck, I don't know!) and I've done a few other things, which you'll be able to find in my archives on the new blog... or possibly on the archives on this blogspot blog if they're working... I'm thankful for the people I've "met" through this blog & hope to meet some of you in person some day... I've learned a lot from you & had fun with the knit along for the Smooch tank (which evolved into a top with sleeves & mine is almost done)...and for the focus that the blog has given me on my projects. That brings us up to date... hopefully I'll be posting a little more often since tomorrow is the last day of swimming lessons & I don't think we're going to be going to the next session since school starts 3 days before the next session ends... plus I only budgeted for 2 sessions of swimming lessons for the twins & one for the younger 2. We'll keep going swimming "just for fun" a few times a week until the pool closes... One more thing: I found out 2 days ago that I've lost at least 20 pounds so far... gotta do a little shopping since my smaller pants don't fit yet (BUT THEY WILL!!) & the ones I have now are too loose...
#




Comments: Post a Comment



Welcome to Patchwork Girl's Rambling Warps blog... where I talk about just about anything from projects to just stuff to rants and whatever... I started blogging here on July 31st, 2002 and have been blogging on my website with Movable Type. I do not promise to blog regularly! I will blog when I feel like:

Blogging Without Obligation:

Feel free to leave comments!



Powered by Blogger