Patchwork Girl's Rambling Warps
Monday, September 08, 2014
      ( 1:42 PM ) Jessica  
I've added some new sounds to my list of sounds I haven't been able to hear... I can hear whispers along with voices, but words still sound garbled to me, but the pattern of the words help boost my lipreadability to close to 100%.  The other day, Gary was talking to me and I didn't hear his voice, just the whisper & I asked him "are you whispering?" and he said he was...

The other day Pepper (our cat) was yelling at the window and I didn't know what it was. I told Indy to be quiet... my son told me it was Pepper. Oops! :) I wonder if I will be able to hear birds yet. I found some YouTubes of bird sounds, they are high pitched... "eek eek eek"...
I can hear Indy barking if he is in the living room... probably all the dogs, but Molly doesn't bark anymore (I think she may be deaf from an accident that happened about a month ago) and K-nine and Nutmeg rarely bark.

Yesterday I found myself turning the volume down on the tablet. I was watching a TV show at the time.  I've also been reading e-books while listening to the audible file. Amazon is set up so I can listen and read at the same time and it highlights the words so I don't lose my place. I wonder if I will be able to turn that feature off later on so I can learn how to keep my place when I get better. I was listening to something else the other day while reading along and it didn't have that feature. Gary was able to help with that.

There is also Overdrive for library books. I'm still researching that option.
Also, books on CDs and DVDs but I don't use that at the moment... right now I need to have a book to follow along with.

I also go to the MedEl Soundscape page to practice listening... mostly Let's Go Shopping. The words still sound garbled... watermelon and strawberry and pineapple still sound sort of the same to me. "These are grapes" is the easiest... I can sometimes pick out pineapple.

I have to go onto one of the other computers to do the AngelSounds exercises and there is also an English as a Second Language site here and there are others to listen to. I can listen to this one on my tablet, but not the Soundscape page (because it requires flash & I haven't figured out how to set that up if it's even possible).

I'll be getting a hearing test in a few days, curious to see how I do! It's nice to be out and about and not have to ask people to repeat themselves or explain that I'm deaf, that I need them to speak slowly. If someone turns away while talking, I can just ask them to face me because I need to lipread... haven't needed to do that yet. What's even cooler is that I was able to go a whole day without anyone asking ME to repeat myself! My speech must be getting better from reading out loud and paying attention to my speech.

Gary is picking up a set of headphones for me to use when listening to stuff on the computer and tablet. A friend told me that it'll bring the sound closer. Also, it'll allow Gary & I to listen to our stuff without getting muddled between the two...and maybe I won't have to listen to the weird puffing (bark whispers?) that Indy does out the window...

Last but not least, the other day I heard Gary fart & he confirmed it! I'm easily amused.
#




Comments: Post a Comment



Welcome to Patchwork Girl's Rambling Warps blog... where I talk about just about anything from projects to just stuff to rants and whatever... I started blogging here on July 31st, 2002 and have been blogging on my website with Movable Type. I do not promise to blog regularly! I will blog when I feel like:

Blogging Without Obligation:

Feel free to leave comments!



Powered by Blogger