Patchwork Girl's Rambling Warps
Monday, October 27, 2014
      ( 9:58 AM ) Jessica  
Oops, I forgot to post recently! I've heard that folks will stop blogging about their cochlear implant progress and such once they get to a point where things don't change so much, but although things seem to have slowed down, I still have a lot of "wow" moments! I'm just not a faithful writer/blogger. I will try to post once a week or at LEAST once a month...

I have a cold... it started Saturday. I was supposed to see Leslie tomorrow, but figured it would be best to reschedule.

My latest new cool sounds are:

I can hear the beeps when I check out groceries at the self-checkout line... they're low & quiet, but I know what they are and it makes checking out quicker & easier! I used to hear this before surgery but this is a new post-surgery sound...

I can hear the beeps when I type my PIN number when getting gas. I've never heard this sound before. If the keypad has "flat" keys, it's harder to know if the number I punch in is going through or not so I used to have to look for the asterisk to let me know it went through.

There are more cool sounds (and some not-so-cool... if I'm awake and reading or watching something on the tablet & Gary is asleep, he will probably also be snoring.. listening to music and stuff will block that out, though!

Words still aren't clearing up so I still have to read along or know in advance what to expect word-wise. That's fine, I know it'll take time... the other day, I had an eye exam and the optometrist had me comparing 2 charts to tell her which looks better.. she called the charts 1 and 2 and I was able to tell the 2 words apart because we had planned it in advance.

Something else I noticed is that most people sound male to me & sometimes scratchy. I think that may be the Darth Vader effect that people talk about. I never did hear people sounding like Mickey or Minnie Mouse or chipmunks. It's just that everyone sounds male & I don't notice much difference in the voices. I'm told that will change.

My music tastes are changing: I still love my old favorites but they sound weird sometimes, a bit distorted & I can't hear all of the sounds. I'll write more about my maps another time, though I still don't quite understand them, just that my audiologist has them set to 80 IDR... (input dynamic range).

I'm still not sure if I prefer the Neptune or the Naida... I usually wear the Naida when I go out and the Neptune at home, mostly because the Neptune is more comfortable: I can wear it off the ear. The Naida sometimes irritates my ear where the Tmic goes over the top of the ear... I can also plug the Neptune into my table with an audio cable. That is nice. I try to remember not to plug it in when the tablet is charging.. just playing it safe! I don't want to get zapped. I can stream sounds into the Naida with the ComPilot, but the bluetooth announcements are annoying... I should try it without bluetooth, with the audio cable connected to whatever and the ComPilot...

Speaking of getting zapped, last week, I noticed that our local store was giving out electric shocks from static electricity... I need to get some dryer sheets to keep in my pocket to minimize this...

The batteries on the Neptune don't last very long, about 4 or 5 hours... not sure of the exact number, though...

The hearing test last month went well: I'm hearing at the 20-40 decibel range now... a HUGE improvement from before surgery, not sure what the range was with my hearing aid, but I think I can hear better now than with the hearing aid when I was younger. I seem to be understanding people fairly close to 100% with lipreading... other people seem to be understanding me better as well, but I still have to repeat myself sometimes.

The tinnitus has abated a LOT... I've got it now, it's mild, but it's probably from coughing...

We lost Molly & K9... I'm not sure what happened to them... I miss them and hope that they are okay, but suspect otherwise... we checked the animal shelter and they weren't there... and looked around a bit for them. We had wanted to try to find a new home for at least one of them...

Labels: , , , , , , ,

#




Comments: Post a Comment



Welcome to Patchwork Girl's Rambling Warps blog... where I talk about just about anything from projects to just stuff to rants and whatever... I started blogging here on July 31st, 2002 and have been blogging on my website with Movable Type. I do not promise to blog regularly! I will blog when I feel like:

Blogging Without Obligation:

Feel free to leave comments!



Powered by Blogger