Patchwork Girl's Rambling Warps
Thursday, May 28, 2015
      ( 10:49 PM ) Jessica  
I figured that a 9 month update would be a good idea!

Although things have mostly leveled out, I'm still noticing interesting changes in my hearing... it used to be that I could only follow one to one conversations or ones I'm a part of... I can now understand a fair bit of what other people are talking about if I'm not in the conversation.. for instance, if my sons are talking to each other in the same room or they're talking to their dad... if I'm in a quiet room, I can understand people a few feet away. I still have to lipread, but being able to hear voice patterns is... wonderful!

I wear a somewhat older Phonak hearing aid and it's helping in ways that I can't quite understand. Even though it doesn't SEEM to me like it's helping a lot, if I'm just wearing my CI, things sound different & I miss more... that ear picks up a few things (some somewhat critical, even) that I don't know if my CI ear can pick up... like the weather alerts on my phone... flute, violin and other high pitched sounds... and some very low ones as well... the CI is mainly for speech, but there are environmental sounds that are important.

The other day I heard a bird squawking... a black bird... and I think I'm starting to recognize some others. Need to go for walks with Gary or/and the boys so they can help me learn those sounds since I don't think we ever covered them in speech therapy when I was younger...

This reminds me of when I was in college and for DAYS maybe weeks, I thought I was hearing someone's motorcycle starting up outside each morning... one day I realized it was taking an awful long time, whatever it was... so I looked out the window... and then I realized it was my boyfriend's cat purring! That was sweet! I can now hear most of our cats when they meow and purr... I guess those sounds fall within the speech banana!

Earlier this evening, when I was in the kitchen, I wasn't sure what all I was hearing..and then I heard the very LOUD sound of our cat Cheddar hollering... I didn't see him... he was pretty close, though! I called Reuven to ask what I might have heard & he picked Cheddar up & showed up to me.
He's a character...

We've been having a megaton of rain lately.. some areas are getting hit badly by floods & high winds... hopefully it'll calm down some soon.

We were in Austin for Memorial day weekend to meet one of Gary's classmates who flew in from Israel to see her family...there was flooding there... on Monday when we went for lunch, we had to keep backing out of streets that were flooding to get around the area where Shoal Creek & Guadalope is to get back to our hotel... that was... interesting!

Tomorrow, my son Evan is graduating from High School & they moved the ceremony into the gym because of the rain/weather forecast... we're expecting more tomorrow. It was supposed to be held in the football field...
#




Comments: Post a Comment



Welcome to Patchwork Girl's Rambling Warps blog... where I talk about just about anything from projects to just stuff to rants and whatever... I started blogging here on July 31st, 2002 and have been blogging on my website with Movable Type. I do not promise to blog regularly! I will blog when I feel like:

Blogging Without Obligation:

Feel free to leave comments!



Powered by Blogger